|Adobe Reader is required to view the following documents.|
Click here to download.
Parish Leadership and Leadership Development
1. "An Overview of Leadership" A look at leadership from both a secular and sacred perspective. Includes many references. (7 pages of content, 2 pages of references)
2. "The Foundations and Structures for Shared Responsibility" Father James Provost, a canon lawyer, reviews Vatican II documents and canon law about the role of lay people in contemporary Church life. (4 pages)
3. "Decision-Making and Parish Leadership" How parish decision-making should very according to the task, plus some tips for arriving at a group consensus. (5 pages)
4. "How Good People Become Cynical" How to move people from cynicism to acceptance of change processes. While there is no "magic bullet," there are many strategies and tips (4 pages)
Parish Planning, Theory and Concepts
5. "Parish-Based Planning" How parishes themselves need to take the initiative for good local planning efforts. (1 page)
6. "The Ten Commandments of Planning" A summary of the wisdom from 47 dioceses who sponsored major planning efforts; applies to parishes, too. (1 page)
7. "Planning Ahead for Ministry" Moving from the "big pictured" (vision and mission) to details. (3 pages)
8. "Promoting Innovation" Concrete steps that a parish can take to creatively address important local issues. (2 pages)
Parish Planning, Writing Pastoral Plans
9. "Indicators of Parish Vitality" this document served as a basis of the 1997 Parish Consultation Process, and is "essential reading" for all seeking to improve their parish. (4 pages)
10. "Using the Indicators of Parish Vitality with Parish Leadership to Evaluate Parish Life" A worksheet and process for a parish leadership team. (3 pages)
11. "Creating a Parish Pastoral Plan" Determining priorities and writing them as objectives and strategies. Includes a sample parish plan. (7 pages)
12. "Writing Priorities and Objectives" An expanded version of the information about priorities and objectives found in "Creating a Parish Pastoral Plan," above. (3 pages)
13. "Sample Parish Plan" The pastoral plan of a fictitious parish demonstrates how the concepts work. (4 pages)
Parish Pastoral Councils
14. "Opening Prayer" The prayer used before every session of the Second Vatican Council.
15. "Official Church Resources for Consultative Bodies" Church references to the need for consultation, from 1964 to 2004.
16. "Parish Pastoral Council Norms" The minimum requirements needed for a parish pastoral council. Includes a sample pastoral council constitution.
17. "Guidelines for Parish Pastoral Councils" Going beyond the minimum, this report provides some useful information in understanding the proper role and function of the pastoral council.
18. "Three Models of Pastoral Councils" Details about the three main pastoral council models.
19. "Sharing Gospel Reflections" A simple process for sharing faith that is loosely based upon Lectio Divinae, a way of praying with Scripture that calls one to study, ponder, listen and, finally, pray from God's Word.
20. "Consensus and Decision-Making:" Issues for Parish Pastoral Councils Originally written for the Parish Consultations Process, this report gives tips on the various levels of decision-making, and notes when consensus is used, and not used.
21. "Discerning Parish Pastoral Council Members" Practical advice from the Diocese of Joliet and the Archdiocese of Milwaukee about selecting new council members without going through the process of elections.
22. "More Resources" Web sites and books that may be useful for pastoral councils.
Parish Ministries- (Courtesy of the Parish Evaluation Project)
23. "The Spirituality of Leadership" Includes excerpts from a new booklet, Learners and leaders, A Spirituality for Board Members. (1 page)
24. "Forming Small Groups" Some creative ideas for starting small groups in a parish. (1 page)
25. "Preparing for the Weekend Liturgy" Internet resources, whether you are a priest preparing for a homily or a lay person becoming familiar with the readings before attending Mass. (1 page)
26. "A New Approach to An Old Concept" Revitalizing a week-long parish mission. (1 page)