How will I know I am called?
This is a great question! To be precise, a person only “knows” that they are called when they are ordained a priest or take solemn vows as a Religious. However, there are many positive signs that can point to a vocation to the priesthood and Religious life, and which can help a person to make the decision to apply to the seminary or convent.
Now that you are here and no one is watching or listening, read these statements to yourself, take them to prayer, then act on what you know is right. God knows, you may be called to the priesthood or Religious life!
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ is important to me.
- People have told me that I would make a good priest or Religious Sister.
- I’ve hidden vocation material under my bed or in my desk.
- Going to Mass and Adoration are very important to me.
- The thought of becoming a priest or Religious Sister keeps coming back to me over and over again.
- I’m afraid to tell my friends and family that I’ve been thinking about the priesthood or Religious life.
- I feel called to give more of myself to others.
- After seeing those in priestly or Religious ministry, I think about how I would do that ministry.
- I have a burning desire to help people get closer to Christ and to know the Truth.
- I have a strong sense that what I have planned for the future is not what God has planned for me.
If some of these statements reflect how you feel, if your heart is pounding even harder, if you sense a greater desire to find out if God is calling you to the priesthood or Religious life, contact the Vocations Department.
Have no fear! The Lord only wants what is best for you – and so do we!