Gift of Self: Marriage Preparation Seminar
This one-day seminar is offered in various locations around the diocese throughout the year (there are typically no seminars offered in July or December). Attendance at this seminar is required for all couples preparing for marriage in the Diocese of Rockford. We recommend that you register for a seminar date that is four or more months before your wedding. Seating is limited, so please plan to register early.
When: Saturday 10:30 AM – 8:45 PM
Cost: $150 per couple
Includes: All materials, lunch, dinner, completion certificate
Available Dates & Locations
- August 1, 2020 – Bishop Lane Retreat Center, Rockford – Update as of 6/12/2020: At this time, we are awaiting further guidance from the state and applicable health officials before determining whether this seminar will go on as planned or if it will need to be cancelled. If you have registered for this seminar date, we will be in touch with you in the weeks leading up to this seminar with further information. Thank you!
- August 22, 2020 – St. Thomas Parish, Freeport
- September 19, 2020 – St. Patrick Parish, St. Charles
- October 17, 2020 – St. Mary Parish, Huntley
- November 14, 2020 – Christ the Teacher Parish, DeKalb
- ONLINE Marriage Preparation – accessible 24/7
*NEW* ONLINE MARRIAGE PREPARATION COURSE IN THIS ERA OF COVID-19… Due to limitations on the size of gatherings, an online option for marriage preparation is temporarily available for couples currently preparing for marriage. If you would like to pursue this rather than attend a live, in-person seminar later this year, please select “ONLINE” from the “Seminar Date” drop-down menu below. Our team will contact you with further instructions about the online course within two business days. The arrangements we have made for this course will allow you to have access to it 24/7, and it can be paused and restarted at your convenience.
NOTE REGARDING APPLYING FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE: Though we hope and pray this does not affect you, we have heard from several couples that they have run into difficulties getting a marriage license recently. It is our understanding that due to our current public health situation, many County Clerk Offices are closed to the public and have changed their procedures for applying for a marriage license. Please contact the County Clerk Office in the county where your wedding will be taking place to explore their current procedures. For your convenience, we are including a link to the Illinois Association of County Clerks and Recorders website that lists the contact information for each of the County Clerk Offices in the state of Illinois: https://www.iaccr.net/MemberCountiesMain.html. We encourage you to continue to monitor this situation in the coming weeks and contact the County Clerk Office with any questions.