XV Ordinary General Assembly of Bishops
Young People, the Faith and Vocational Discernment
Date: February 23, 2017
The Rockford Diocese received formal notice that Pope Francis will convoke the XV Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops in October 2018. The topic for this synod will be: “Young People, the Faith and Vocational Discernment.” To assist the Holy See and the bishops in their discussions for this synod, a preparatory Document for the Synod has been released to all episcopal conferences, the synods of the Eastern Catholic Churches sui iuris, the Union of Superiors General and Decasteries of the Roman Curia. The Holy See asks that information on this synod be shared as widely as possible so that all those Catholics, especially young people, who wish to do so in the Diocese of Rockford and around the world may have an opportunity to provide input.
To assist the universal church in that effort, Bishop David J. Malloy has circulated the Preparatory Document for this Synod to the Deans and priests throughout the diocese and to the Diocesan Pastoral Council for response. The responses from dioceses will be gathered by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops to be passed on to the General Secretariat of the Synod of Bishops assembled by the Holy See.
For those Catholics wishing to submit responses please read very carefully the body of the Preparatory Document found in the links provided below. This context will help prepare you to address the series of questions and aid you in framing a response. When answering these questions please keep in mind that “young people” are defined as those 16-29 years of age.
To those wishing to provide input, we offer the following suggestions.
1. First, read just the body of the Preparatory Document (follow link in English or Spanish).
2. Then note your initial responses.
3. Next, review the questions. There are 21 questions, under 4 sub headings or categories.
4. You are invited to respond to any or all questions. You may wish to focus on one or more of the subsections. Treat the questions as a guide. We suggest you focus on either an area of particular interest, experience or expertise.
5. On the topic(s) you choose to address, prepare a brief response of roughly one or two paragraphs each.
6. To submit your responses you must include all the information below along with your responses. Due to the time needed by the Holy See to assemble this material, your responses must be received in writing, signed and received NO LATER THAN JUNE 2, 2017.
RESPONSES MUST INCLUDE
• Your name and complete address.
• Your parish name and the city of your parish.
• Your role if you are making a submission on behalf of a group or parish
• Your signature
Mail your responses to:
THE DIOCESE OF ROCKFORD
P.O. BOX 7044
ROCKFORD, IL 61125
ATTN: SYNOD RESPONSES
Thank you for your consideration in taking part in this important synodal process and assisting in the Holy Father's request through this work.